About Feed the Truth
Feed the Truth is a new nonprofit organization that stands with a burgeoning global movement with an ambitious goal: to create a healthier, more just society by challenging the global food and beverage industry’s exploitation of our health, environment, and democracy. It was founded by Daniel Lubetzky—a philanthropist and entrepreneur best known for creating the snack company KIND—with the goal that Feed the Truth would “hold all of us in the food community accountable for what we say and claim” and counteract the food industry’s alarming sway over both policy and science. As we prepare to launch our work, Feed the Truth is looking to build a talented team that can help the organization become a driving force for change.
Feed the Truth seeks a Digital Engagement Manager to build and manage the organization’s digital operation; a critical component of the organization’s future campaigning. This is a key, foundational role at an important moment in Feed the Truth’s evolution. As the Digital Engagement Manager, you will report to Feed the Truth’s Director of Communications and work with and help build a growing communications team to manage the launch and build-out of a new, dynamic web, and social media presence.
By developing and implementing plans to dramatically expand the organization’s digital reach, you will not only raise critical public awareness around the unchecked power and influence of the food industry, but also bring increasing pressure to bear on the world’s largest and most exploitative corporations, trade associations, and front groups by mobilizing a new generation of activists. You will also work with our research team to translate data and complex research findings into compelling campaigns and content, as well as to position Feed the Truth as a go-to source of information, analysis, and advocacy on food industry practices that create unhealthy, inequitable food environments.
The Digital Engagement Manager will bring a strong background in digital media and campaigning in a political or advocacy environment. The ideal candidate is a savvy communicator, proven program manager and implementer, highly skilled in digital messaging with strong writing abilities and a passion for creating a healthier, more just food system. If you recently worked on a political campaign and are ready to use your digital campaigning skills on one of the most critical issues of our time, this job could be for you!
· Develop and implement detailed growth plans and strategies across digital channels.
· Contribute to the development and execution of high-impact advocacy campaigns
· Manage the launch and build-out of a new web presence that will become a go-to resource for advocates, researchers, media, and other audiences.
· Direct the optimization and timely upkeep of the organization’s web presence.
· Build out the organization’s email list, social media presence, and web prominence by developing partnerships with ally organizations, strong share content, ads, and beyond.
· Manage the digital aspects of the organization’s editorial and content creation calendar.
· Prepare compelling copy and visual content to feature across digital platforms.
· Work with the Director of Communications to recruit, train, and build a digital team, while directing the work of colleagues on digital projects and assignments.
· Manage contracts with web developers, designers, a CRM, digital campaign consultants.
· Provide regular analytics and user data to inform organizational growth and campaign plans.
Required skills, experience, and qualities:
● You have at least 5 years of experience creating and managing cutting-edge digital campaigns for non-profit organizations or political campaigns.
● You have a track record of building and executing aggressive email list growth, social media followings and engagement, and web traffic plans.
● You have strong knowledge and execution of best practices in writing digital campaigning and fundraising copy.
● You have a proven ability to distill complex topics into easily-digestible, visual, and compelling digital content.
● You have solid proficiency in working with CMS’s and CRMs common in our field
● You have experience effectively, recruiting, training, and managing staff and consultants.
● You are a creative, bold and analytical thinker.
● You build trusted relationships with external partners and engage them with humility and a posture of learning.
● You have a strong awareness of and commitment to improving gender and racial dynamics in collaboration.
● Excitement to engage on and become immersed in issues at the intersection of food and corporate power, equity, health, climate, and democracy.
Preferred skills, experience, and qualities
● Experience developing micro-sites in platforms such as SquareSpace.
● Advanced design skills.
● Data visualization skills are a plus.
● Spanish language skills are a plus.
The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $90,000 and the salary offered will be dependent on market factors and the candidate’s professional experience and capabilities. Feed the Truth is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and short-term and long-term disability insurance. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Communications.
We have a strong preference for candidates based in Washington, D.C. or Portland, OR. We will consider candidates in other U.S. locations if they can easily travel to D.C. and Portland once it’s safe to resume travel.
How to Apply
· Please click on the apply button and submit your application including a cover letter which speaks to your interest in our mission. Please also include three writing samples which demonstrate your abilities. It's most helpful if you can include an example of advocacy-oriented action or fundraising emails, social media posts, and web or blog content -- please just do your best! And also let us know where you heard about the position.
· We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. Please apply as soon as possible. The closing date for applications is Friday, February 26th, 2021.
Feed the Truth encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, parental status, or veteran status.