About Feed the Truth
Feed the Truth is a new organization with an ambitious goal: to create a healthier, more just society by changing food industry practices that deepen inequalities and undermine the well-being of people and planet. It was founded by Daniel Lubetzky—a philanthropist and entrepreneur best known for creating the snack company KIND—with the goal that Feed the Truth would “hold all of us in the food community accountable for what we say and claim” and counteract the food industry’s undue influence in shaping policy and science. As it prepares to launch its work, Feed the Truth is looking to build a world-class team that can help the organization become a driving force for change.
Feed the Truth seeks a Communications Associate to support the build out of Feed the Truth’s communications, media, fundraising and campaigning capabilities. Working closely with the Director of Communications and a growing communications and research team, the Associate will work across a host of disciplines and platforms, editing content, updating the Feed the Truth website, project managing publications, and engaging in social media outreach. The ideal candidate has a passion for corporate accountability and social justice campaigning, as well as a strong interest in Feed the Truth’s mission. He/she/they will have exceptional project management and writing skills, an ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment, and a keen attention to detail.
- Provide project management support for a variety of communication team-driven efforts in areas of digital engagement, media, and publications.
- Assist the Digital Engagement Manager with website development, content management, and supporter outreach.
- Support the development and execution of high-impact advocacy campaigns.
- Support the launch and build-out of a new web presence that will become a go-to resource for advocates, researchers, media and other audiences.
- Partner closely with the Director of Communications to build and manage a range of initiatives and serve as a utility player to work across the team on content production, social media and copy writing.
Skills and experience
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or relevant field.
- Strong project management skills, including experience in managing and support initiatives within and across teams and a proven ability to toggle between a range of projects and communication activities.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills with experience in developing and proofing copy.
- Basic graphic design skills (especially for designing social media content and presentations). Advanced design skills and experience with Adobe Suite a plus.
- Experience building a social media or email following and/or managing social media platforms, email lists, and/or analytics for a non-profit, influencer, or themselves.
- Experience using CRMs such as Action Network or EveryAction, and CMSs such as WordPress.
- Past experience coordinating joint digital actions with coalition partners (e.g., involvement in setting-up a microsite, social media toolkits, petition outreach, etc.) is a plus.
- Prior experience in a nonprofit or social change organization is highly preferred.
- Proficiency in a second language (Spanish in particular) a plus.
Qualities and attributes
- A creative and analytical thinker
- Exceptional judgement and impeccable integrity.
- Willingness to engage on and become immersed in issues at the intersection of food and corporate power, equity, health, climate, and democracy.
- Ability to work both as a self-starter and as part of a growing, collaborative team.
- Pragmatic optimism. The work that Feed the Truth will do – be it campaigning, research, or connecting the dots – is all about the art of the possible.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. You build trusted relationships with external partners and can approach and engage communities doing related advocacy work humbly and with a posture of learning.
- Passion for challenging the status quo and holding the powerful to account for their actions.
- Ability to work effectively under deadline.
- Awareness of gender and racial dynamics in collaboration.
Feed the Truth encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, parental status, or veteran status.
We have a strong preference for candidates based in Washington, D.C. or Portland, OR. We will consider candidates in other U.S. locations if they can easily travel to D.C. and Portland once it’s safe to resume travel.
The salary range for this position is $45,000 to $55,000 per year and the salary offered will be dependent on market factors and the candidate’s professional experience and capabilities.
Feed the Truth is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and short-term and long-term disability insurance. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Communications Director.