About Feed the Truth
Feed the Truth is a new organization with an ambitious goal: to create a healthier, more just society by changing food industry practices that deepen inequalities and undermine the well-being of people and planet. Feed the Truth was founded by Daniel Lubetzky—a philanthropist and entrepreneur best known for creating the snack company KIND—with the goal that the organization would “hold all of us in the food community accountable for what we say and claim” and counteract the food industry’s undue influence in shaping policy and science. As we prepare to launch its work, Feed the Truth is looking to build a talented team that can help the organization become a driving force for change.
Feed the Truth seeks a Deputy Director, Program and Research to play a lead role in developing and implementing Feed the Truth’s research program, which focuses on food industry abuses. As the Deputy Director, you will work closely with the Program and Research Director to conceptualize research, manage research projects, conduct active research and monitoring, develop publications, and advance advocacy. You will also help build a team of talented researchers dedicated to ensuring we achieve our mission – and win!
The ideal candidate has a deep commitment to social justice, challenging corporate power and advancing equity in all forms, as well as a proven track record of successfully developing and implementing research programs within the context of campaigns and advocacy.
· Conduct academic, campaign, policy, and strategic corporate research focused on food industry abuses and political activities.
· Conceptualize, manage, and lead research projects that are critical to advancing strategic priorities including supporting campaign actions, producing publications, driving advocacy, facilitating strategic partnerships and overall strategic planning.
· Monitor news, academia, and trade publications to provide analysis and help seize media and campaign opportunities.
· Directly engage decision makers, corporate executives, and food industry representatives to advance our objectives and measure campaign impact.
· Represent the organization at conferences, summits, ally gatherings, policy-making spaces.
· Develop and cultivate relationships with lead partners, experts, and allies.
· Ensure accuracy of communications, campaign materials, and publications.
· Build and train a talented research team staff and structures including direct supervision of research team staff, fellows, and interns.
· Perform other tasks as needed to support the organization’s goals and priorities.
Required qualifications, skills, and experience
· At least eight years of relevant experience, especially in research, advocacy, corporate campaigning, and/or grassroots organizing and ideally in a campaign-oriented organization.
· Experience developing and implementing research and campaign activities in an issue-based advocacy setting. It’s ideal if you have experience shifting an industry’s practices and holding the industry accountable.
· A passion for building a sustainable and equitable food system.
· Experience with policy analysis and development.
· Proven track record of conceptualizing and building a research or campaign program.
· Ability to conduct both qualitative and quantitative analysis.
· Experience training and managing staff.
· Deep commitment to advancing racial equity and holding corporations directly accountable to the communities most affected by corporate abuses.
· Bachelor’s degree in policy, public health, human rights or relevant field.
Preferred qualities and attributes
· You have experience shifting food system dynamics, changing food industry practices, holding food corporations accountable, or advancing progressive food policy reforms.
· Proficiency in a second language, especially Spanish, a plus.
Experience regarding direct engagement with corporate decision-makers, policy makers, and investors a plus.
· You have a keen attention to detail and thrive on ensuring complete accuracy in all you do.
· You have an curiosity that drives your need to understand through research and analysis.
· You have an a commitment to people and communities facing the greatest injustices and disparities due to food industry abuses.
· Advanced degree a plus.
The annual salary range for this position is $90,000 to $110,000 and the salary offered will be dependent on market factors and the candidate’s professional experience and capabilities. Feed the Truth is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and short-term and long-term disability insurance. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to our Program and Research Director.
Candidates can be based anywhere in the U.S., though we have a preference for candidates based in the D.C. area or other East Coast locations.
How to Apply
· Please click on the apply button and submit your application including a cover letter which speaks to your interest in our mission. Please also include where you heard about the position.
· The closing date for applications is Friday, February 26th, 2021.
Feed the Truth encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, parental status, or veteran status.